Your FMA Style

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by RJ Clark, Sep 4, 2012.

1. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

How does your training in other martial arts influence your sparring and combat style in FMA?
    This is very much open to anyone who does stick and/or knife training in any combination as well.

Aaron and Blade Maker like this.
  3. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Not FMA, but since I will categorize cane into "stick"...
    TSD allows me to function best at longer range, large motion.
    A combination of a mixed learning of my integration of certain boxing, MT and WC style motions flows well in-close with crook trap, short strike and drag/cut across methods.

Blade Maker and RJ Clark like this.
  4. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

the first weapon i learned how to use was my father's back-sword, it has a basketed hilt that is excellent for slipping ,a block and punching. Consequently when i fight in any weapons system now. I look for either a hilt-strike or a good punch with my off hand.

RJ Clark likes this.
  5. RJ Clark

Thanks for the input! Trying to knock the dust off of this section has had limited success. :rolleyes: The cane is probably going to be the only other weapon I begin to train simply because it's the most inconspicuous in spite of being openly carried. What's your opinion on the Cold Steel City Sticks and such? I prefer the substantial "feel" of hardwoods for my sticks, over my Cold Steel poly weapons and trainers.

Sneaker likes this.
  6. RJ Clark

Nice! I actually prefer a single stick/knife so I can shoot my off hand out as part of a contact and control to neutralize one side and/or unbalance and throw. Because of my preferred range, by default I use a disproportionate amount of "pommel" strikes to damage and/or disarm compared to most FMA guys (since largo mano seems to be preferred by most).

Blade Maker likes this.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I have really only trained with hardwoods. I prefer hickory or heart of hickory, though I have used some friend's canes with lighter wood... so they are a little faster, but not as durable, less momentum on carry through. I wouldn't want to use them in actually full speed real life.
    Have used an asp baton, but consider that a very different weapon... more like the dan bong.

Sneaker and Blade Maker like this.
  8. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

[quote="RJ Clark, post: 12360, member: 575" What's your opinion on the Cold Steel City Sticks and such? I prefer the substantial "feel" of hardwoods for my sticks, over my Cold Steel poly weapons and trainers.[/quote]

I use Cold steel stick and boken, i love their training weapons, the cold steel sticks have the right weight to them as their hardwood counter parts. Plus they don't break. Just don't store them next to a radiator, i did at one point and the heat distorted them, just a slight bend.

RJ Clark likes this.
  9. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby Disciple

I am relatively new to FMA. My other training seems to slightly hinder me. When they make a sudden motion towards me, my wrestling kicks in and my hands drop to catch a take down. I then get bashed in the face with a stick or fist. I am quite certain though, that the face bashing will fix the dropping of my hands.

RJ Clark and Caneman like this.
  10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

... face bashing generally has that negative reenforcement conditioning. LMAO

DeeD, Gone and RJ Clark like this.
  11. Clive Weaver

Clive Weaver Initiate

Did a little Kali during my JKD days. Double stick/knife techniques definitely helped with quick empty hand movements, both curved and straight line. When joining Doce Pares I found that it's a hell of a lot more involved. Most FMA are a complete fighting art, stick can be applied to knife/empty hand, then back again, a complete circle.
    Personally, I have found the Hubud drills to be the most useful, but that's me.

Aaron likes this.
  12. Clive Weaver

Clive Weaver Initiate

Sorry, I didn't read the question properly (my kids were pestering me) not a brilliant excuse, but I'm sticking to it.
    While learning the Kali in my early days, and picking it up quite quickly, I was fascinated with the FMA system, mainly the empty hand techniques. I did 10 yrs of training with a mixture different styles with Wing Chun and FMA being the mainstay. As you know this all creates muscle memory. So when joining Doce Pares I found a lot of subtle differences. those subtle differences caused me problems, in that I kept reverting to my old style. Even while stick fighting I would try to move as I would in my old style. My Master told me that I was hard to hit (as I'm a defensive fighter). But when entering a competition I found it frustrating. I wanted to use my dirty tricks of old, so I couldn't let go. You know when you're in the zone? when you let everything flow? you just let your reflexes take over. I had to concentrate, which slowed me down. I lost. But rules are there for a reason aren't they?
    To be honest, I wasn't up to scratch.
    Question is, would I have had an easier time if had not done something similar before hand?