What flavor of FMA do you practice?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Nexquietus, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

The topic says it all. I practice Pekiti Tersia Kali. The Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje jr is the presant keeper of the art. I am also a part of the Blackbird training group learning the Tri-V system, specifically related to the Pekiti-Tersia Tactical Association. It's a stripped down version designed to be rapidly acquirable, leaving out some of the less practical concepts like double swords and spear work to emphasize single knife, sword, single stick, and empty hand as well as grappling. Through seminars you can pick up the other aspects, and they are easily integrated as many of the movements are related.

Lets hear about what you do and what it is. Also, where are you located. The FMA community seems to be pretty spread out, it'd be interesting to make some contacts, and maybe even find someone close to us. I live in Washington State, USA.

jim

Chaleira, Deborah and Blade Maker like this.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I don't get to train in FMA much anymore, time commitments only so much I can do in the day.

When I do I currently do Arnis under Datu Kelly Worden's NSI Arnis system. I have done some Kali in Paul Vunak's JKD system as well and found that it contains aspects to be quite similar. Datu Kelly Worden focuses on empty hand, stick, staff, double stick, double knife, and some grappling aspects as well.

Here's a documentary on it; Datu Kelly Worden has a very good view on grappling at 25:30;

I am located in Alberta, Canada.

4. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

I studied Pekiti-Tersia Kali as well, it was an eye opening system for me as their techniques work the same whither armed or unarmed. Saddly there are no decent FMA schools near me, that teach good combative skills. What i learned in the phillipines was life changing in my outlook on what works and what is just pretty.

Nexquietus likes this.
  5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Heya Jim, I hope this finds you well..........I follow Dan Innosanto Kali and Panantukan etc systems and the John la Coste system for sticks and weapons. I dunno if this is what you mean.....but hey, dumb blonde here:D respects my friend XXxxXXxxXX

Nexquietus likes this.
  6. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

Deborah, that's exactly what I mean. I have yet to attend one of Mr Innosanto's seminars but it's on my list. I'm not familiar with John La Coste, I'll have to look him up.

jim

Deborah and Aaron like this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Please do that Jim, you never know I might come to America to see him, only when he was in Glasgow.;) love, respects and peace my martial friend XXXxxXXX

8. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

I train with the Boston Arnis Club. We cover a pretty wide span of Arnis, Kali, and Dumog.

Deborah likes this.
  9. Gone

Gone Guest

I'm too uncoordinated to use a weapon in each hand, lol. AEK/FMA look really fun, but fancy. I cannot seem to express my thoughts on AEK/FMA at the moment, lol.

Staff fighting would be something really worth learning, though.

As for knife fighting..

Well, even I could do that.

Aero and Vldz like this.
  10. D. WOODS

D. WOODS Shaolin Toad

Cabales serrada system along with Silat semi galoug and Chinese long posting

11. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

D. Woods, I study Cabales Serrada Escrima as well. My instructor is one of Angel Cabales' 12 or so people he gave master instructor to named Frank Rillamas. I am on a temporary break due to distance and car trouble, but still practice daily and with other students that live close. Pretty good stuff.

12. Aero

Aero Initiate

I attended the 2012 "Train with the Masters" seminar this past September that featured Guro Dan Inosanto and it was a blast. He teaches things in a rapid-fire fashion, so you may not pick everything all at once. As for Juan ("John") LaCoste, he was one of Guro Dan's Filipino instructors during his younger days living in Stockton, CA.

13. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

My instructor's instructor was one of Dan Inosanto's teachers as well; Angel Cabales. There is some old you tube videos of Angel Cabales and Dan Inosanto where Angel is teaching him lock and blocks or something along those lines. Angel is very small compared to Inosanto, but apparently Inosanto said he was extremely fast. I find it so interesting how small the world is, especially the martial arts world. I live in Manteca Ca., which is about 10 miles south of Stockton where FMA pretty much started here in the states. If I was about 30 years older I could have trained with all these guys too, damn; would have been interesting!

14. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

Well Red Australian, those are great videos and especially the second one. I think that the reality versus what we all practice against is sometimes a lot further apart than people may think. What an eye opener to say the least and something that has me thinking a whole lot more at this point. I guess the real important lesson would be to always be very aware of your surroundings so you can expect the unexpected. I am going to send this to my Escrima instructor and see what he has to say about the whole thing. The only place I have been that trained in the fashion that was on that video was a Systema place out in Colorado about 10 years ago, which I really enjoyed until I got a wicked rib injury where the "instructor" for the day (long term student that the instructor was letting run class that day) went up under my ribs showing us a technique and tore the crap out of my cartilage; still hurts to this day to be honest. Anyway, great eye opener and something to really think about and bring up in my classes. Thanks!!

Red Australian likes this.
  15. Gone

Gone Guest

I'm suprised noone has seen my links before :S

All I'm doing is typing in a few obvious google/youtube search terms (for instance "real knife attacks") and just link 'em in.
    For instance, the video description on the first video...

"If you train to defend a knife attack and the attack is not an aggressive, ongoing attack like this, you are fooling yourself. An attacker who really wants to hurt you is NOT going to step in and throw one slash or thrust and then stand there as you carve him up. This attack is based on Don Pentecost's book "Put 'Em Down, Take 'Em Out! : Knife Fighting Techniques From Folsom Prison". I would also go so far to say that if you are not familiar with this book, you are not a serious student of knife fighting. Every thug (a guy capable of committing a violent crime) released from prison is somewhat familiar with this form of attack. When you come across the "wrong guy" and he attacks you with a knife, this is how he's likely to be coming at you, though he probably won't give you this much notice that the attack is coming.

If you count, There are 12 to 13 stabs made. The stabbing starts one second in and finishes at seven seconds. The entire attack lasts about 6 seconds. That relates to one stab every .5 second.

What this means to your training is that, at the advanced levels, if the "attacker" isn't attempting to stab and/or slash you about 6 times during the 3 seconds your counter takes, you are not training for a "real" knife fight."

16. Chaleira

Chaleira Capoeiraista

Trained in majapai derobio escrima (a derivative of Pulahan-Derobio escrima with some other influences) for a year and a half with Grand Master Dan Medina starting in 2012. Since then I've had the opportunity to do a few Kali workshops with Grand Master Dan Inosanto; as well as a few workshops in Garimot Arnis and Buno with Grand Master Gat Puno Abon. These days I try to dabble with friends when I can catch up with the ones who do FMA. Trying to find a FMA class in my current area with no luck :- (