So what brought you to the Filipino Marital Arts?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Nexquietus, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

Like the heading says...

For myself, I have a background in Judo ( a brown belt) and Aiki-Jujutsu (a Black Belt). Weapons were always a point of discussion in the Aiki class but not very thorough, and non existent in Judo, save for one move in one of the traditional Forms. I had attended a Knife fighting class taught by James Keating at my Dojo, and he incorporated a lot of Kali, but there was none to be found locally. I felt as though I needed to learn more, something a bit more practical, and happened upon an ad for a Pekiti Tersia Kali class locally years later. I went to one class and was hooked. Even though the movement was very different from my traditional Japanese, ramrod straight style movement, the training progressions, drills and logic was hard to beat.

Here I am two years in and thoroughly enjoying myself. The full contact sparing was hard to get used to, but I have come to look forward to it. I'd be hard pressed to recommend a different art to people for self defense. Sure other arts are better at different things, but for an out of the box art that is practical is easy to obtain a high level of skill in a relativel short period of time, this is the one.

So, lets hear from you folks. What do you practice and why?

jim

Kevin and Deborah like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I'm dying to answer this question my fellow enthusiast! But I will have to make it tomorrow Jim, I am off to bed, niteynite!:confused:XXXxxxXXX

4. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hiya again Jim!!My background is JKD and it was back then that I got hooked on Philipino Kali. I happened to go to a seminar in my gym, at the time I was totally clueless about Matial Arts. The seminar included Dan Innosanto, I was mesmorised by the weapons, the boxing it included, the traps, the destruction of you opponent's limbs......I could go on and on......but there isn't enough time in the world for me to sing Philipino Kali's praises:rolleyes:XxX Love and respect as ever Jim

Nexquietus likes this.
  5. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Started doing kali during my JKD training, Vunaks version of JKD, around 10 years ago. Slowed down with that until I started in ninjitsu about 5 years ago, got invited to a Kelly Worden seminar. Since then been training in Ninjitsu, Arnis/Kali, and JKD. Kelly really opened my eyes more to the weapons of filipino martial arts. If you have a chance to go train with him I suggest you don't pass it up, one of the best martial artists I have had the pleasure of learning from.

Nexquietus and Deborah like this.
  6. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Disciple

I have not been able to attend one of Mr Worden's I am not familiar with his rank or I would use it with respect. Seminars. I have been able to attend seminars by Tuhon Jared Wihongi and Tuhon Rommel Tortal. Both are very dynamic and through instructors. The seminar with Tuhon Jared was interesting because I didn't realize it was an instructor's retreat, and I had only been in the system for a month. I didn't embarrass myself too much thank god, and my instructor, Guro Lamont Glass, said I did well. Tuhon Rommel's seminar was very different than I had been learning. It was much more flow oriented and focused on the Kerambit, an animal I was not familiar with using. I had a year under my belt for that class, so I was not the newest that time.

I have also heard that Dan Inosanto's seminars are very good as well, diverse topics and an energetic speaker. I will make it a point to attend one some day.

jim

Aaron and Deborah like this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

OOOooooft Jim Guro Dan's seminars are amazing, I have been to several.....If you get the chance I would highly reccomend attending any that come up:D

8. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Kelly Worden has been training in Arnis and JKD for years... He is very skilled with knife, in fact is knife work is still some of the best I have seen after 25 years of training in martial arts. He has done various training for military ( Army, possibly other divisions ), various police services, and others. He obtained the rank of Professor, awarded to him by Professor Trigg I believe. I have trained with most of his Canadian instuctors, all of the instructors affiliated with him are excellent and actually know what they are talking about, they didn't just go to weekend seminar and get apprentice instructor, they actually worked for it. All around great martial artists and a very energetic instructor. Kelly also has this ability to show you how to make techniques just flow, and turns a technique that you couldn't understand before from your base art make more sense. In all honesty best 2 day seminars I have ever had.

Deborah likes this.
  9. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I would love to try one of those seminars, Aaron....As ever love, peace and respects my fine friend!XxXxX

10. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

I got into it because my weapons training was very weak. I had a background of Kenpo and Chuan Fa (empty handed) and really wanted to get into more weapons. The thing was, I wanted something practical and there is nothing more readily available than a stick.

Deborah likes this.
  11. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I couldn't agree more Aaron a stick is my best friend;) love and respects as ever.........XXxxXX

12. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

Indeed! Sometimes when I talk to new students about the weapons that I teach, I get a sour look - like weapons is a bad word. Some people ask my if I actually carry a stick around with me ... I say yes. I keep it in the back seat of the car. I have actually brought new students out to see them.

13. tony7

tony7 Disciple

i tried filipino arts many years ago, really enjoyed the knife/stick drills, also the fluid motions, as a compliment to my overall karate studies, whatever works is good,never be closed to arts your unfamiliar with, as they can really open you up to a world of possibilities....

14. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

Jason Bourn - the Mat Damon version, since i havent seen the new one. actually thats what particuarly got me into matrial arts in general...