Martial Arts for the middle aged

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by Dojomart.com, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Dojomart.com

Dojomart.com Initiate

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best martial art to practice as one enters middle age and beyond?

Happy training!

3. KIERANLIAM

KIERANLIAM Initiate

Yes, my good friend.

Practice the art of stretching. Then stricking a heavy bag. Practice the art of lifting all of the constraints from your motions, and let your momentum flow like a dance while you are fighting. The training starts with stretching and finding your center of momentum, and flowing from there.

This is the best advice that I can offer you personally, as this is how I began the arts. 10-50 years old - boy or girl - the arts begin with your ability to be flexible like a rubber band.

The specific style is not important. Most people develop their own unique styles as they practice. Have fun with your training!

Best,

K

4. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Just choose the one you like.. and if you don't, you can always change.
    Every art has a peculiarity, if you want less impact, try the soft arts, like BJJ, Judo, Aikido... but that doesn't mean they are less physically challenging

5. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Initiate

I would not say Jujutsu, Judo, or Aikido are "soft" arts...less impact? How do you figure? Have you ever been slammed down on a mat?

6. toddjutsu

toddjutsu Initiate

If I may add something, from someone who is there. Little history, I started in Tae Kwon Do when I was 11, in 1978, I practiced, competed and became a 1st dan before entering the Marine Corps. There I got to travel (to exotic places), practice and experience different styles and arts. I left the service do to medical, achilles heel rupture after 9 years. I came home and could not find a decent school. Fast forward, I had to have a total knee replacement at 45. I found that the "
    high kicking arts" was to be no more. So at 48, I found a school and started Aikido. This led to me finding another this year and began Aiki-Jutsu as well. Yes, there is impact when you are "thrown", (which was a major concern with my replacement), however with learning breakfall correctly it is a non issue. I find that Aikido and Aiki-jutsu is for me, more enjoyable. You still learn an art that will work, it has less impact on joints (compared to the kicking and striking of other arts), and a decent work out. I think you will enjoy it. Let me also say this, it is never to late to begin or restart.

7. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

They are called soft arts, indeed the japanese word "Ju" means soft, as in Judo, that means the soft way.
    Look it up and you'll find it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_(martial_arts)

8. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Initiate

Aw, heck. Since that is what Wikipedia says, it must be true. The old warrior meaning of "ju" has nothing to do with being "soft".

9. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

I told you to look it up, you'd better do so...
    check out the references in this article and you may find something interesting, sometimes it's good to actually know something about what you do :)
    I wish you a pleasent quest for knowledge

10. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Initiate

Right back at ya.

11. Justin Chang

Justin Chang Initiate

To best answer your question we would need to know what your goal/s are. Are you looking to learn a tradional martial art, are you looking for a means of defending yourself, are you looking for something to keep your in shape?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

soylette likes this.
  12. soylette

soylette Initiate

I'm middle aged and wanted to learn martial arts more for keeping in shape. I started learning Shaolin kung fu when I was 41. and recently started modern wushu as well (totally non-martial). In the past couple of years, I went from barely being able to run a mile without dying to being able to do a headflip, kip ups, one handed cartwheel, front handspring, standing split, and at almost 43 am working towards getting my aerial cartwheel. I think that depending on your goals and what you're most interested in, your age doesn't matter. However, being older you need to really, really listen to your body and don't overdo it when your body says it's too much. I've seen a lot of progress being slow and consistent vs going crazy and pushing too hard.

Master of Nothing likes this.
  13. Anthony Davis

Anthony Davis Initiate

I would definitely recommend martial arts training to anyone in mid-life who has an interest. To get started, visit few martial art schools and talk to instructors. Tai Chi is usually recommended for older adults because of it's slow and gentle movements.

14. GoldDan

GoldDan Founder of Neo-Bokator, supreme master Dan.

If you want grappling, then do Judo.

If you want striking, then perhaps Kyokushin.

You could also make it so that it is good for you no matter what. Join a gym with someone your own age and ask the trainer to group you together. If the trainer is a good guy you will get something custom. Then you could even do MMA.

15. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

The main thing to do is look at the instructor. Will they be able to fit your needs. If they are strictly a traditional school, then there may be some adjustment and speed bumps. If they are MMA, then it is a matter of the patience of that school, plus being prepared to deal with some things that may very well be a direct path to Ouch Ave. Either way schools will vary.
    I find that modern "Ecclectic Systems" are best suited to customize training for whatever the personal restrictions a person may have, whether it is age related or not. A proper ecclectic system will allow someone of any age to gain self protection skills, manage health, and develop personal growth, in one location. This may be because they have a series of different class types or that their system is that flexible.
    No matter what, it always boils down the relationship between the potential student and the instructor. Will the instructor have your needs (not "desires") in mind, when they put you to work?