George of the jungle fights ninjas

Discussion in 'Systema' started by Eric M. Miller, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

3. David Manson

David Manson Disciple

ahhh...Daaammmmn.

4. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Cool!

He looks like the reincarnated spirit of The Highlander - all he needs is a long coat!

Locutus likes this.
  5. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

LOL, no joke an should quote 'there can be only one', everytime he guts someone with there own weapon

is he Wing Chun?

6. SifuPhil

I'm not sure what he is - it sure doesn't look like Systema, though ...

7. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Not pure Wing Chun. Combanation of styles I think. Some Wing Chun, definetly some Aiki Do and Escrima....maybe?
    Though I'm not to familiar with that to be sure.
    Amazing how good you can look when you know what's coming;)

Locutus, MattCMMA and RJ Clark like this.
  8. SifuPhil

I never realized that Wing Chun utilized Chin-Na ... learn something new every day. (y)

9. Dave76

It doesn't. Allthough it does have pressure point striking with finger thrusting techniques.
    I was referring to about 40 sec in or so....some of the combonation bloking he uses is either Wing Chun or something very similar.

SifuPhil likes this.
  10. Dave76

And just for the record, Casey from the original TMNT would be my vote:)
    casey.jpg

11. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

too damn funny you found that one, was going to watch that movie with my sons this weekend

Dave76 likes this.
  12. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

it is straight systema. just done faster and less drill/demonstration than what you regularly see. i also detected a hint of aikido.

13. SifuPhil

I don't know - it looks far too clean, too flowing and too complex to be Systema ...

14. Dave76

Never having seen anything of Systema, bit hard to say. I'll take your word for it. Google time I suppose.

A hint! That's sarcasm surely? Straight out Aiki Do knock downs, no doubt.

15. SifuPhil

I have to agree with Dave - that was more than a hint ...

16. Eric M. Miller

Eric M. Miller Samurai

looking on their channel it claims to be nothing but systema. though, in my experience, systema seems to have been a hybrid art consisting of a mixture of ninjitsu, aikido, and kung fu.

17. SifuPhil

I guess like any other art it's open to practitioner interpretation, because this guy looks quite different than all the other vids and articles I've seen.

18. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Demos aside, its impressive nonetheless.

SifuPhil likes this.
  19. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Most of it is fundamentally sound. Altho' quite a few scenarios are choreographed - like Dave76 said, it's amazing how good you can look when you know what's coming and you have co-operative ukes.

Sherratt likes this.
  20. ghost

ghost Disciple

Systema divides its time between soft choreographed and dynamic attack scenarios. You can't tell by this video, but every class or workshop on Systema I've ever volunteered in to be a dynamic attacker against a top level instructor, their defense results were nothing short of amazing. The best part is they have such amazing control, bringing the pain, but preventing injury.

21. Fin Smith

Fin Smith Disciple

Probably because my roots are Wado, the one thing I always notice about drills like these is that there is very little body shift in any of these defences. Following the "belt & braces" philosophy, block AND move so if the block fails, the body is out of the striking line. This looks good, but one missed/failed block and the knife hits its target 'cos it's still there.