Fighting stick weight

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by the Barbarian, Aug 21, 2013.

1. the Barbarian

the Barbarian Not Mr. Nice Guy

I was introduced to Escrima stick and knife fighting this month and am in love with it. The person who introduced me had two differnt sets of sticks. Ratan and what I think was ironwood. I will be using them for self defense. Is one set better than another? Which should I purchase first? Thanks.

3. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

4. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

With all sticks... train with the heaviest.

Sneaker likes this.
  5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

yeah, go for the heavier pair (you'll feel forearms burning/tiring) except if you have joints problem like arthritis etc, ratton is a better choice ... another thing is grip size ... ratton sticks got a thicker grip but its lighter and shocks absorber as well while thin grip is usually heavy and move faster than ratton because of the grip size ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima#Weapons

I did broke someone sticks with heavier one :) and someone did break my sticks ... (laughing)

I took 3 months of Kali by Kevin Taylor at W.K.U. ... lots of fun and lots of tangled up movements :)

6. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby Disciple

If you see a chance to buy iron wood (don't remember the Filipino name) buy it. It can no longer be harvested, it is real dense. I doubt you could train with people with it though cause you will break everyone's sticks. I use the same style of ratton sticks that every else in my class uses. I use a thicker heaver version of them when I train by my self.

Sneaker likes this.
  7. thegerm78

thegerm78 Initiate

The ironwoods might be from the bahi tree, but I wouldn't use those to train with, maybe hang on the walls or solo practice. For partner drills/practice go with rattan, they are cheaper, when they break they won't splinter/shatter, and the vibrations are easier on your body. No need for heavy sticks when you are starting out, unless you're a massive dude/dudette. If that's the case just get some big rattans (1 1/8 inch to 1 1/2 inch), either from Frank's Cane and Rush or BloodSport.com. Your teacher can recommend the right length as some schools have different preferences.

For self-defense, why don't you just get a tactical baton?

8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

In some states are illegal to carry tactical baton in public if you are not in force.

9. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Almost all states have CCW (concealed carry weapon) permits. These support other weapon aside from firearms.
    Of course, these exclude previous felons (and may other restrictions)... and you will be fingerprinted by the FBI, etc...
    But, if you obtain one, it does broaden your abilities.

Sneaker likes this.
  10. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

so do u need a licence to carry these type of sticks ?

11. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Answer: It depends... have to look at your state law.

Sneaker likes this.
  12. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Does seem pretty silly that you would need a license to carry a stick. How about a rock? What a dystopia we live in.

Sneaker likes this.
  13. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Good point ... a rock (laughing) maybe Flintstone Fred carrying a permit :)

14. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

For Wing Chun butterfly sword practise we used kali style sticks. Some people used to get the rattan ones, but I just got a length of 32mm dowel wood, Tasmanian Oak if I remember correctly, cut them to size, put a bit of gaffa tape around the ends to help stop any splintering. Has held up to even deliberately trying to break each others sticks........as you do;) and a heck of a lot cheaper also. Then maybe later when you've been there a bit longer and gotten more practice in with others sticks you'll have a better idea of what would suit you best.

15. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Yea Im not sure what would be required here, Im sure would be questions if you had some sticks tucked into your pants haha

16. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

If you just carry one, you could play it off that you were just trying to impress someone... LOL.

Semper Gumby and DeeD like this.