Do we want/need another martial art in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'News' started by Judah, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

I've said it all along,

One competition similar to K-1 for all "Striking" Martial arts - Full Contact & Semi Contact with Thigh kick and Elbows and without.

And

One competition similar to UFC for all "Grappling" Martial arts - Gi and No Gi, Strikes allowed and not allowed

It would toughen up the sadly softened arts that are in the Olympics already

Kata Compettions souhld be part of the Gymnastics programme as most who Enter Kata Competitons especially Kids have no Idea of the lethal technics in the Kata and what its for.

Aaron likes this.
  2. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

(laughing) (y)

Pedro likes this.
  3. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Well if you see what kind of sports are in the Olympics I think many martial arts are better to be an olympic sport. Many people think that much of martial arts are 'too bloody' or 'too agressive' so I think MMA will never be an olympic sport. Kickboxxing maybe but I think Muay Thai also not. I think about something like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but there are allready grappling sports. I personally really want kickboxxing in the Olympics, but off every martial art people have something to complain about.

4. Anybody

Anybody Initiate

I am a WTF affiliated TKD practitioner. While I think there are some ancillary benefits to sparring under the WTF rules, I would never advocate that it is comparable to a self-defense situation. Frankly, I don’t think martial arts provides anyone with the best form of self-defense. The best form in my opinion is to be successful and make good decisions which puts distance between you and your family and the dangerous elements of society, so you do not need to engage (or limit the likelihood of engaging) in a violent confrontations.

I am about a billion times more likely to “use” my training in competition rather than a defense situation. For me, the completion aspect of TKD is fun and I enjoy that aspect of my training and martial arts experience.

In any event, I do not agree with the notion that because you spar under a specific rule set you will defend yourself that way. A long time ago, I was in a self-defense situation and got out of it using only punches (we do train punching by the way). There is probably some merit to the argument that training a specific way will lead you to a preference when confronted with a defense situation, but it won’t overrule the brain in your head which is designed to get you through the confrontation and make you do something idiotic in the situation your find yourself in. If you fear that would happen, then you have a weak brain.

For me, TKD meets my goals for fitness, personal need for sporting competition and gives me a level of self-defense capability I would not otherwise have without training. Sure, if my sole focus was self-defense, I’d probably take Krav Maga. But that is not my sole focus.

Sounds like those criticizing WTF TKD style competitions are enjoying their martial arts and that those arts are meeting their needs. That’s great and god bless. If TKD is not for you, that is fine. You have apparently made a decision to study an art more in line with your goals. Not sure why some of you feel compelled to criticize another art or frankly why the hell you care so much to take time out of your day to do so. Just be confident in your choice or art and talk about the positive aspects of your training.

UK Student - your comments were most appreciated by this lowly WTF affiliated practitioner.

Chrisoro and Pedro like this.
  5. shyquille graves

shyquille graves Warrior Monk

you are very right

6. shyquille graves

you are very right

7. shyquille graves

you are very right

8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

In any event, I do not agree with the notion that because you spar under a specific rule set you will defend yourself that way.

There is probably some merit to the argument that training a specific way will lead you to a preference when confronted with a defense situation, but it won’t overrule the brain in your head which is designed to get you through the confrontation and make you do something idiotic in the situation your find yourself in. If you fear that would happen, then you have a weak brain.

Above is a quote from "Anybody"

You're wrong when you say this. The whole point of training is to make your reactions automatic, that means the brain is indeed bypassed.

9. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Hence why when bad habits are ingrained during training it's takes one hell of a time to untrain them and put in place proper technique and mechanics. During my beginnings as an instructor that part was probably the most frustrating for me. The feeling of "why is this student not making any progress after covering the same technique over and over again and explaining a million different principles?" lol. I can laugh about it now but really wanted to bang my hand against the wall before.

10. Scorpion Ninja

Scorpion Ninja Grasshoppa

Freestyle Nunchaku for the win in Olympic Games please.

Master of Nothing likes this.
  11. Doug Toto

Doug Toto Initiate

Yes. The more we can get in the better it is for all of the martial arts.

12. SamuraiMaster

SamuraiMaster Initiate

They should add cat fights, with hair pulling, and extra points for using the word "bitch" as often as possible.

Master of Nothing and Pedro like this.
  13. toddjutsu

toddjutsu Initiate

I do not think we need another martial art in the Olympics. I was in Tae Kwon Do before it became and Olympic sport and exhibition sport. The Art took a dramatic change, once it did. You actually, could see and feel the change leading up to it, as the art was becoming more and more competition driven and a lot less self-defense. I believe that Judo, Boxing, fencing, wrestling do a great representation of sports. But, I have read that I think 2020, that wrestling will no longer be an Olympic sport. Perhaps, the plan is to take it out and replace with MMA, which they may believe is a more true representation of "Pankration" of the ancient Olympics.

Master of Nothing likes this.
  14. GoldDan

GoldDan Founder of Neo-Bokator, supreme master Dan.

I think MMA should be in the olympics, it was in the original olympics, called Pankratus, meaning "all powers". I think we should remove separating boundaries between wrestling, judo and bjj, have only one competition called "grappling". Then remove style boundaries between the stand-up styles, call it "striking" and have a sector for that. Kata should not be part of the olympics, it is riddicoulus, everybody is doing the same thing and I can't tell the winners apart from the losers, when korea always wins the poomse and japan always wins the kata, you look at what happens and everybody looks the same, something is wrong.

IMO